Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Night

Hello, dear reader. Huddle around the campfire, (your computer, that is. Hey, it gives out warmth, doesn't it?) roll out your sleeping bags and get ready for a tale, a tale that will take you to the darkest hours of the night. More aptly stated, this entry will be about sleep -- the innocent sleep, sleep that knits up the raveled sleave of care, the death of each day's life, sore labour's bath, balm of hurt minds, great Nature's second course, chief nourisher in life's feast. (note: Taken from Macbeth Act II Scene II)

So, how was your night? What were you experiencing then? Perhaps you don't remember, what with the being dead to the world and whatnot. Or maybe you were in the midst of a memorable dream, which you recall now? Yes, sweet sleep -- the very sleep that you loathed while in your youth, whining, "I want to stay up, mom!" -- the sleep which you cherish now, every second of it.

As for me, my night was slightly...disturbing. One could even say that I had a run-in with the
supernatural. (It didn't happen last night, though, it was actually sometime last year.) Well, you judge for yourself. Let us not digress any further, and return to the tale...and I can assure you, that every word of it is true. (Maybe not every word, but I can honestly say that it happened.)

So, the day ended with the routine consumption of a glass of milk - thick, rich and...milky, for want of a better word. (I started a milk diet after being paranoid about learning of osteoperosis.) And, as I climbed into bed, with the windows open, the cool night breeze blowing in, caressing my face and tousling my hair, I prepared for the oblivion that would eventually consume me, the blackness enveloping my vision...



...and experienced a sudden paralysis of my entire body, rendered immobile by lord-knows-what.
I tried to scream, but no sound came out. There was a weight pressing down on my chest (or at least I felt the weight), and, damn it, it was humanoid, and it was evil. The force pushing down prevented me from taking large breaths, so my breathing was shallow and quick. I was afraid. Very afraid. My train of thought was derailed, replaced by indiscernible whispers, nerves on edge.


In my peripheral vision, I noted a figure. It just appeared, with no dramatic entrance, no gathering of dark particles. It, or he, rather, was just...there. He was dressed in a black coat and suit, with a hat masking his facial features. Feet off the ground, he began to levitate towards me. Every instinct in my body screamed at me to run, get away...but still I remained in my immobile state. His hand reached out agonizingly slowly, reaching for me, and the fingers slowly started to fade, turning skeletal, along with his face, and his eyes, oh, his eyes, they started turning a bloody crimson...

I sat bolt upright, panting and gasping for air. Relief washed over me. My shirt clung to my back, cold sweat beading my forehead. Looking around, I realised that the man had vanished, and all was normal, with nothing out of place, nothing but my nerves. I was still high-strung from that episode, and in no mood to sleep. Eventually, though, sleep claimed me, swallowing me up into its blissful oblivion.

The next day, fearing for my sanity, I looked up my...condition, and, through the internet, and discovered that I was not alone. (Oh, sweet internet, I thank thee for salvaging my sanity. And yes, I lied about the "supernatural" part.) It was known as "sleep paralysis", a sort of paralysis that took place at night. It was, literally, a waking nightmare. It occurs when you are on the brink of falling asleep, and your brain, slow to realise that you are resting, confuses reality with dreams. And what do you get? Well, you essentially experience paralysis, (After you've experienced it, you'll learn to really respect disabled people.) accompanied by an acute sense of fear, and yes, hallucinations.

Wow, I've just realised that I could potentially lose the respect of all my peers and be branded a coward. So be it, but I can, and will testify, that it is terrifying.(Run-to-your-momma scary!) Now, the day is drawing to a close. I'll part with this advice - to avoid it, get ample rest (but not too much - sleeping in also can also cause this), and avoid stressful thoughts that prevent sleep. Or, if you're already experiencing it, learn to recognise the patterns that occur just before the paralysis, and avoid them like the plague.

I bid you a good night, and sweet dreams...

No comments:

Post a Comment